Hope you had a fantastic holiday weekend! Here’s a bunch of stuff to bring you back into the world of work and inspire you to get your week started:
13 tips for Writing and Publishing
- Jeff Goins offered an incredible 15-day challenge for mastering the habits of great writers. They’re all worth checking out, but my favorite was Great Artists (and Writers) Steal.
- Thinking of writing a non-fiction book? Ask yourself these 9 questions to ensure you’re ready first.
- I also loved this piece by Jeff Goins on the secret to being prolific (It’s way siimpler than you’ll guess.) (If it’s not enough to convince you, read this similar advice from Alexis Grant.)
- No one wants a back-story dump, warns author Julie Anne Lindsey. To avoid it, introduce your story the way you’d introduce yourself on a hot date.
- A writer’s true value is not in words, but in the solutions she can offer through them, says feature writer Mindy Long.
- Alexis Grant offers a great list of unnecessary words to eliminate to tighten your copy.
- Seth Godin did an awesome thing to market his new book — check it out and see if it might work for you. He talks about it a little more here.
- Alexis Grant shares 2 big ideas for self-publishing, which might inspire your future publishing plans.
- In case you need a glimmer of hope, screenwriter Kelly Oxford made her writing dreams come true through Twitter, The Republic reports.
9 Thoughts About Life
- To make progress on life’s giant decisions, make tiny decisions first, says Alan at Life’s Too Good.
- Emily Wapnick also has advice for tackling projects that are so massive it scares you.
- In art, like in love, risk is the price of admission, says Therese at The Unlost.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed with all of the awesome stuff that’s out there to read, remember that you can’t possibly read it all, says Leo at Zen Habits, and give yourself a break.
- Did you see this in the news? A 22-year-old Yale English major wrote a beautiful essay on life for her graduation, then died in a tragic accident shortly after.
- If you haven’t checked out Therese Schewenkler’s NOT YER MOM’S GUIDE to Finding Your Career and Life Path, do it now!
- Phew, get ready! Tom Ewer at Leaving Work Behind lists 100 blogs you need in your life. (Speaking of not being able to read it all…)
- Stop saying, “I could do that,” and just do it if you can, says Chris Guillebeau.
- Needed this one! Loren Pinilis shares 8 tips for conquering the alarm clock and waking up early.
9 Ideas to Improve Your Career
- One of the most important things you can do in life, Hope Clark reminds us, is to thank those who touched you.
- It’s not about becoming famous; it’s about cultivating loyalty through ongoing service and attention to detail, says Chris Guillebeau.
- Marian Schembari explains why you still don’t have a job for Brazen Life.
- Thank you to Steve Buttry for sharing these awesome digital tools for sharing your career history and portfolio!
- Avoid these 7 marketing sins listed by Seth Godin.
- Do you charge an hourly wage for freelance work? Jonathon Fields suggests you may not be getting the best deal.
- Did you know that you can test out of college and still earn a degree?
- Entrepreneur Sean Ogle lists 5 questions to ask before launching a product. Are you ready?
- Slate shares the results of a new study that reveals what it’s really like to work from home.
3 People to follow on Twitter
Just spilled beer on my “good” flip flops like it’s a goddamn Jimmy Buffet song over here.
— Kyle Kinane (@kylekinane) July 2, 2012
— [beautyandthebeard] (@lpodlich) July 7, 2012
I am always surprised when someone shares my interests.
— Guy Branum (@guybranum) July 7, 2012
6 Things I wrote
See all of my stories and articles about the end-of-life at SevenPonds. Here are a couple from June:
- Have Fun with Life! – Frandu’s story of living with terminal illness.
- How psychedelic drugs can help patients face the end-of-life
I cover local stand-up through my column “Awkward Silence” for SF Weekly. Check these out:
- Q&A: Joe Klocek prepares to open for top comics at Fillmore for Comedy Central tapings
- With COBO’s closing, the Bay Area bids farewell to a comedy favorite
I cover national comedy news for Laughspin.com. Here are my favorite stories from June:
- Review: Jimmy Fallon’s ‘Blow Your Pants Off’ is a super collection of ‘Late Night’ musical moments
- After being reported missing in May, the owner of the Tempe and DC Improv was found dead June 6.
And One Great Quote
The freedom of defining your time, sloughing off the burdens, and pursuing your writing goal, is a phenomenal creative catalyst. - C Hope Clark
What you might have missed here
- Three stellar resources for figuring out what to do with your life
- Welcoming a new baby — Happy One Week to the Little Bean
- Interview with comedian Kyle Kinane – Part One, Two, Three
- Tips for cheap fun in San Francisco
- 4 Ways to Boost Your Career When You’re Unemployed
Sign up to get access to the DIY Writing Toolkit — resources to inspire, educate, and guide you on your unique path in the writer’s life.
Featured image from Stock xchng